Sunday, July 27, 2008

Weekend Project - The Girl's Room

When we moved into the house, most of the interior was an UGLY shade of yellowish-orange. Except the girl's room. So, every room in the house, including the boy's room got a cool new paint job (aka - not white). Her room has been white for a LONG time.


She got a new comforter from Grandma and Grandpa J for Christmas. Horses is her theme. I've been telling her now for almost 8 months that I would paint a nice mural on her walls to decorate it and warm it up a bit.


I bet she thought it would never happen.


Well, the kiddos went to spend the weekend with their dad. And instead of all the other productive things I had to do on my list, I decided to paint her room. I must say, I'm impressed with how well it turned out. I am not a very artistic person. I was always the child who over-did it.


Especially painting. I could cite you several example, especially those nice 80's shirts that you painted, and then SPUN. Man, those were the coolest.


Anyway, I digress.


The main focus. The red barn! I measured, I used math I never thought I'd ever have a practical use for and made sure it was all even. I used a LONG straight-edge, a level and algebra. I simply did this by using painter's tape and masking off the barn, then painting over it. The doors were all done by masking too. I could NEVER have painted straight lines on my own. Nope, not me.




I was going to do this a bit more abstract tree. Using mostly a very long triangle. Then my smarty-pants husband suggested using a sponge to do the leaves. (Btw - fancy sponge at Lowe's - $10. Car wash sponge at dollar store. Um, $1) :D


I was going to do it all on one wall, then I realized how cool I could REALLY make it, and put the tree in the corner. I like it. Plus, I added some of the brown from the trunk to some of the green - and two-toned the leaves. Perty.


Painted grass with dandylions all the way around the room.


Again, utilized the corner to do a sun.



And, a bad pic because of the back-lighting. But, it's her bed under the window with the fabulous curtains Grandma J made, and a tree in each corner of the room. And all of her stuffed horses on her bed.



Of course, I also took out 2 bags of trash and a big box of stuff for Goodwill. But don't tell her that! She'll be home soon - I bet she's surprised! :D

Here's the girl horse-back riding for her first time when she had her "Day out with Aunt Kelly" last month!

6 comments:

Jer & Di said...

That look GREAT!! I can't wait to hear her reaction. You did a great job, and Rob had some super ideas, I am sure Danielle will love it. Way to go!!!!

Tanya said...

That is awesome! I am way impressed.

Tyler Jorgenson said...

Fancy Schmancy! I dig it.

The Prices said...

very impressed!!

the princess said...

hey tl - that looks great! you are awesome, you know. LOVE YOU!

Nana Elizabeth said...

You could actually go up into the ceiling with that sun and the trees and make it look more round, mebbe.

This is so fantastic! Inspires me to do some myself. I love your blog by the way. I'm from LInkup.
LivsLaughsLuvs