Saturday, August 2, 2008

Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary

How does your garden grow?

After a long, cold winter, we finally got some sun and warmth and the garden really started blooming. Rob did most of the work in the planting this year since I was busy with school! I need to draw up a sketch and post it of what we have... Maybe I'll update that soon. ;)




We took some requests this year and planted the right variety of beans and cucumbers, according to Grandma and Grandpa S! ;)
Oooo, artichokes! Mmmmmm

We get a ton of voluntary plants that pop up. I'm letting some of them grow to see what they are and if they'll produce any fruit of any kind. One of the benefits (?) of our backyard cycle. Bunny poo as fertilizer produces some undigested seeds that grow! lol

When broccoli grows too long, it flowers. Not very edible, unless you're a bunny, but it's pretty!

See how big some of our zucchini got? see the pen there? We're going to use these for stuffed zucchini tonight, and I'm pulling out my major zucchini recipes. If you have any others, PLEASE SHARE! lol


8 comments:

Tanya said...

That is awesome! I wish I could do that but I wouldn't even know where to start. I do not have a green thumb.

Jer & Di said...

Wow! Very impressive!

The Prices said...

Your garden looks awesome. I really want to start a garden--maybe next year. I am really worried that the squirrels will eat it all though. Anyone have ideas about how to keep them away? They already eat all my bird seed.

Teri Le said...

We have tons of squirrels too. We don't plant seeds, we either buy starter plants or do the seed starts in the house or garage. Works like a charm.

QnA Drapers said...

I'll have to post some pictures of our garden. WE got some BIG zuchinni too this year! We are waiting for the tomatoes to turn red- theres lots of them.

Pop J said...

Well, this is fun. I didn't ever think I'd see my kids talking about their gardens! Also... you don't need a green thumb if you have bunnies. It's all quite organic if you know what I mean.

Rachel said...

It all looks delicious!

I've never tried growing artichokes. Were they hard? They look really neat.

Heidi said...

YUM! I wish I could grow something - I mean - I've tried - sometimes I get lucky - but mostly I just end up throwing everything away! Maybe I'll have to take a pic of my measly garden, too!