Saturday, August 30, 2008

Our Family is Growing

We had been talking for a little while about getting a dog. Rob's favorite breeds are black labs and weener dogs. However, both are expensive so we didn't think it'd happen anytime soon.

Last week I just happened to pop onto Craigslist while everyone was gone, and I saw an ad for a brother and sister doxie - Free to a good home. I called, and luckily I was the first person.

Rob came home from the beach that afternoon, and we took a little drive and got these adorable Mini Daschunds. They're 1 year old and adore us already. And the kids adore them. Their names are Mork and Mindy. (Nanoo Nanoo)


I never thought I'd be one of "those" people who dress up their dogs. But, I just can't help it. They LIKE it.


Oh, and did you know Doxies were originally bred to go after rats. So, they like rodent-type things. You know, like bunnies. See how inquisitive they are??


This led to us (well, ROB) having to put a fence around our rabbit hutches. While the bunnies ARE food. They can't have them yet. :D


After the fence goes up, Rob says to me, "You know what would be fun? To get some chickens to run around under the rabbit pens. They eat the bugs, you know."

So, since we now have a fenced-in enclosure, and lots of bugs, we now have 4 chicks who will grow into 4 egg-laying hens. Right now they're in a great box on the back porch so they can grow. Then they'll be "free range" chicks runnign around under the rabbit pens.


We have 2 white and 2 red Rhode Islands.

My dream of a farm life is becoming more and more true. I LOVE IT!

Our idea for next year - fence in the garden area and get a couple of phesants to keep the garden bug free!

4 comments:

Jer & Di said...

OK This is just too funny..I wasn't really planning on a trip to the farm next weekend, but it sounds like it will be a lot of fun! Be sure and send Grandpa some of your chicken pictures, I know that will thrill him!

Tanya said...

You are getting closer and closer to your farm. All I ask is that you get a horse so WHEN we come up we can ride it =)
I also know this place called Corona that has a lot of cows if you want one of those too. =) Happy Farming!

Tyler Jorgenson said...

I love the dogs names.

Liz said...

My sister has a little "farm" also. The kids love it and have a good time taking care of the animals. I can't wait for her chickens to start producing eggs, I have heard they taste so much better.