Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Law of the Harvest

Did you know that when you plant a big vegetable garden that you can harvest friends? It's TRUE!

Last night I went out to check on the garden a little bit since last week's big harvest. Um, wow. Did you know that they sprout up quite a bit after rain and a brief heat wave?? I mean, they REALLY sprout up. I went to put up the vining fence for the pickling cucumbers and said "Um, Hun. Just how big do these pickling cucumbers need to be?"

The garden expert (the hubby, the man who's done this more than 2x) came and said - "those are too big, but the rabbits will like them."

So, I spent a couple hours harvesting, pruning and weeding. My lower back hurts.

THIS is what I had when I was done:



So, after selecting what we wanted and were going to use. And what the bunnies would eat, I took the rest to church. I had them announce it in Relief Society - that after the nursery kids were gone, I would be out at my truck with fresh garden veggies.

After being in nursery for 23 of the 25 months that I have lived here, I actually got to meet some new people!! :D And now maybe they'll call and come by. Sure, they'll want zucchini, but they have to talk to me to get it! lol

Oh, and our garden map. We've already decided to extend it out about 5 more feet along the bottom for next year. Going to have a bit more variety.



Oh, and a reminder for myself. Less sweet meet plants, they grow BIG and will take over the whole garden if they're not cut back. ;)

It's ok, you can be jealous.

8 comments:

Marti said...

And so I am.

Jealous. Oh well. Send zucchini bread. :)

Jer & Di said...

Too fun. I am really wondering why all the cucumbers, since if I remember correctly they aren't something you like at all. Great garden though...and you didn't say did all the vegetables get a new home after church?

Rachel said...

Mmmmmm.

This is the first year I have not done tomatoes or anything besides my fruit trees and berries. (I knew with the baby it would not get proper attention.)

I cannot TELL you the cravings I have for fresh tomatoes.

So jealous does not begin to cover it.

Lisa said...

Nice! Our stuff isn't quite that far along yet. We have a few tomatoes here and there, but the other stuff is still a few weeks away. Hopefully it stays warm.

Tanya said...

I am jealous and wished we lived closer so we could reap some of your harvest. =)

The Prices said...

I am jealous--but I don't know if I would be up for all the work!

Liz said...

I am so impressed with your garden. You must have great dinners. Since we just moved I only got two zucchini and one tomato plant in. Tonight I made zucchini brownies- yum.

Anonymous said...

Hey, this picture reminds me of someone...oh yeah, Granny!! :-)
--BSA